Accreditations & Affiliations
VIMSIA is accredited by the Association Montessori Internationale (AMI) for the Primary through Upper Elementary Levels. Dr. Maria Montessori founded AMI in 1929. The organization is directed by an international board, and is supported by distinguished scholars and statesmen throughout the world.
AMI/USA was founded to conduct the business of AMI in the United States. The yearly dues we pay go to the United States Office in Rochester, New York. A portion is sent to the International headquarters in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
AMI strictly regulates the standards to be met by member schools and teachers through their consultation program. They offer and run teacher-training programs, and organize national and international workshops and conferences. A team of specially trained consultants visits each school at least every three years. AMI is the reliable authority on authentic Montessori theory and practice, and since its inception, has been the coordinating agency of growth and development in Montessori. For more information about AMI, visit their website: www.montessori-ami.org
VIMSIA is also authorized as an IB World School. The International Baccalaureate Organization, headquartered in Geneva, authorized VIMSIA to offer the Diploma Programme for grades 11 and 12 beginning August 2009, and authorized our Middle Years Programme for grades 7-10 in the Spring of 2010.
- VIMSIA is proud to be accredited for PK – 12th grade by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
- The VI Department of Human Services accredits VIMSIA Casa dei Bambini Toddler Program and our Bougainvillea After School Enrichment Program.
VI Montessori School & Peter Gruber International Academy has the sole distinction in the USVI of being doubly accredited for our program offerings. AMI and IB are internationally recognized as two of the most successful educational methodologies in the world.
- Our school is accredited by Middle States for Toddler through 12th Grade. We also sit on the accreditation committee to review other schools in the Caribbean. We are in process of adding further Middle States Accreditations for Service Learning and International Schools.
- Since our founding in 1964, VI Montessori School has been an AMI Accredited Montessori Program. Our Primary through Upper Elementary Programs are AMI accredited (Pre-K through 6th Grade). AMI is Internationally recognized as the oldest and most respected Montessori Program accrediting organization in the world.
- We are an IB World School and are accredited for both the MYP and DP Programmes for our Peter Gruber International Academy - (Grades 7 - 12).
The IBO was established in 1964 with a focus on providing standardized and vertically integrated educational practices around the world specifically geared toward students of United Nations families - to provide consistency for those children that were moving around the world through out their school years.
Middle Years Programme (MYP)
Our 7th - 10th grades are authorized for the IB MYP Programme.
Diploma Programme (DP)
Our 11th and 12th grades are authorized for the IB DP Programme.
Virgin Islands Department of Human Services
- Our Toddler and Bougainvillea Enrichment Programs are licensed by the VI Department of Human Services.
- Association Montessori Internationale (AMI)
- International Baccalaureate Organization
- North American Montessori Teachers Association (NAMTA)
- AMI Elementary Alumni Association (AMI/EAA)
- National Center for Montessori (NCME)
- Caribbean Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
- National Association of Independent Schools (affiliate member)
- National Middle States Association (NMSA)
- St. Thomas/St. John, USVI Chamber of Commerce